Erin Ackor is a Partner at Moore & Co., P.A. where she has been practicing law for over years since Moore & Co. opened its doors in early 2004. Since joining Moore & Co., Ms. Ackor has represented clients in both transactional and litigation matters (including arbitration matters, both nationally and internationally), primarily devoting her practice to advising clients in connection with transactional matters in the following areas of concentration:
Admiralty / Maritime Law
- Vessel Acquisitions and Sales, including representing Clients with respect to the purchase or sale of many notable yachts such as Meraki, Silver Lining, Snow 5, Dapple, Sixth Sense, Rocinante, Sea Owl, Septimus, Blind Date, Mustang Sally, De-De, Bacarella, Endeavour and many others;
- Vessel Construction Agreements, including negotiating Agreements for Clients with a wide range of Builders such as Amels, Vitters, Feadship (Royal Van Lent and Des Vries), Benetti, Nobiskrug, Delta, Christensen and Westport;
- Vessel Financing;
- Vessel Refurbishment and Repair, including negotiating contracts world-wide with Contractor's such as MB92, Rybovich, and Bradford Grand Bahama;
- Vessel Charter, including assisting Clients with obtaining charter licenses in Spain and the Bahamas and advising Clients generally on charter contracts, tax and duty issues and other charter requirements;
- Vessel Registration and Corporate Structuring, including advising Clients on various flag state options such as Cayman Islands, Marshall Islands, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, United States, Jamaica, Bermuda and others;
- Federal Customs Issues as well as State Sales and Use Tax Issues;
- Crew Employment and MLC;
- Charitable Donations, including representing charities such as The International Seakeepers Society; and
- Vessel Auctions.
- Acquisitions and Sales, including representing Clients purchasing and selling helicopters and private jets; and
- Registration, including working with the FAA and Cayman Islands.
Prior to joining Moore & Co., P.A., Erin Ackor earned the degree of Juris Doctor, with honors, from the University of Florida, Fredric G. Levin College of Law in 2002. Prior to attending the Fredric G. Levin College of Law, Ms. Ackor attended Maine Maritime Academy in Castine, Maine, and earned the degree of Master of Science (Maritime Management). Ms. Ackor also earned the degree of Bachelor of Science (Business Administration) with a duel concentration in finance and management information systems, with high distinction, from the University of Maine in Orono, Maine.
After graduating from Maine Maritime Academy, Ms. Ackor worked in the logistics department of Lykes Lines Limited, at the company's headquarters in Tampa, Florida, where her responsibilities included working with all port offices, nationally and internationally, to reposition, repair and dispose of fleet equipment. Prior to joining Lykes Lines Limited, Ms. Ackor worked as a vessel operations manager for a privately owned fleet of bulk cargo vessels. Ms. Ackor's responsibilities included charter contract review and analysis, voyage analysis, on/off hire analysis, weather routing, fuel consumption calculations, laytime calculations, demurrage and despatch calculations, acting liaison with port agents, and organizing all vessel port arrivals and departures worldwide. Ms. Ackor also worked as a professional crew member on board a variety of sailing yachts, transiting both the Panama and Suez Canals and sailing over 50,000 nautical miles to numerous international destinations such as the Caribbean, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Thailand and the Seychelles.
Organizations / Committees:
- Admiralty Law Committee of the Florida Bar (2013-Present);
- International Superyacht Society
- Vice President (January 2020 – Present)
- Secretary (January 2019-December 2019)
- Treasurer (January 2016-December 2018)
- Board of Directors (February 2014-Present)
- Maritime Law Association
- International Yacht Brokers Association
- Recommended Industry Expert for Yachts and Superyachts in the Chambers & Partners 2017 and 2018 High Net Worth Guide
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2012 & 2013)
- Florida Trend Legal Elite (2011)
- Ms. Ackor is a regular contributor to the Florida Yacht Broker's Association's monthly publication "Compass" and has written articles published in the "Triton", has contributed to articles published in "Dockwalk", as well as being quoted by the Yacht Report and Mega Yacht News.
- Mare Forum Panelist (October 2019)
- IYBA Yachts and the Law Seminar (2018)
- Mare Forum Panelist (2014)
- FYBA Yachts and the Law Seminar (2014)
- American Superyacht Forum (2011)
- FYBA Yachts and the Law Seminar (2007)
- Yacht Fest San Diego, CA (2007)
Ms. Ackor is a Member in good standing of the Florida Bar, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, the Miami-Dade County Bar Association and the Federal Bar Association.